Friday, March 5, 2010

Bemichigamaag indoonjiibaa!

In light of the DFL-Labor Union sub-caucus this past Sunday, it became apparent to me and my fellow Anishinaabedog in attendance of how much native issues really matter to the white democrat of Bemidji. We grouped and they attempted to dupe us into rallying for their cause and abandon our struggle for equality, they attempted to under mind our voice to the degree they attempted to re-arrange the rules in front of our own eyes so that our issue would be once again be swept aside to make way for their agenda that they believe is more of a priority then Native American equality, and what's this with Mary Olson questioning the validity of Gregory Paquin's run for her seat? Why are our discrepancies even in question when we speak out against discrimination? Yeah I can understand these politicians don't want to be viewed as the ugly monster ravaging the Native American's humanity, but c'mon, we as Americans weren't presented a door of opportunity until 1924, when we were finally made citizens of this country. The last battle in the Indian wars was fought 26 years prior to this legislative act by my ancestors at Battle Point. So 26 years prior to this act, which Americanized the Native American, this country was attempting to extinguish Indian problems altogether in this country, let alone in little old Northern Minnesota; but my ancestors fought, we fought for our survival, we fought for our rights for humanity. Long ago we viewed the white man as our brother, and we haven't received that same sense of kinship within the society they evolved around our communities, they confined us to reservations, they still do today, constantly questioning our concerns of matters outside our reservations, and today I'm left feeling like a refuge or an immigrant in my own country. Why? Because I have left my government designated homelands to seek opportunity outside my country, so that my family isn't expose to the poverty, corruption, violence and lack of resources that are rampart within my country of Leech Lake. I can identify with the Central American immigrants that seek opportunity outside their beloved homelands, because yes, I am very proud to be a Leech Lake Pillager Band Ojibwe, but I am also an American citizen, I am also a Minnesotan, and my human rights matter, my equality matters, my voice matters. This discrimination we speak out against isn't a figment of our imagination, its validity is very much alive in the Native American community of Bemidji. Its very much alive in the court systems here in Bemidji. They fight tooth and nail to discredit our defiant voice for equality. Why? Because we're not suppose to be here, this government was to be built on the bones of the Native American. It was built on the failed presumption that we as Native Americans would not survive the legislative barrage of laws meant to eventually extinguish the Indian problem further in light of the failed war campaign to eliminate the Native people, so that they can make way for white settlers, their attempt of political genocide of social degradation to wash away the Native community into oblivion has also failed. So yeah, I don't think that we are being represented fairly in the media nor in the senate today by these politicians that attempt to speak out on our behalf. We need one of our Anishinaabe people amongst them, to speak out about the reality of our situation, not to question the validity of our social incongruous state we are meant to be left to rot away in within this cesspool of convoluted tribal politics. We need someone that will meet the needs of these proud resilient people that only want equality, and we will continue to fight until our children have those rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment